Wednesday 12 November 2014

A POTTED HISTORY from 2012
In 2012 students from Landrillo College built the cover over Helen II supported by their tutors and funded by Conwy Council.
The students came to work on practical tasks using teachers and the shipwright.They were here preparing to create frames (ribs ) for the boat from slabs of English and Welsh oak. They were the first group on the Marine Construction Course run by the College.





Work on replacing the old frames was a long and somewhat laborious task.I will try to include an information sheet I made for the public to understand the process to create each piece of a full frame .Each could be made of 4 -5 pieces.







In 2012 -2013 work began on the main stern .This needs to be very strong as the rudder is fastened to it  .Dave Williams amazed me in creating what to me was a work of art !
See what you think......
Normally if  I have a small gap of a few millimeters I tend to think " that will be O.K."
A gap of any sort is unacceptable to these shipwrights .My own skills and standard of work have improved no end seeing what can be done !!!
(The speckles on the wood  are modern pigeon droppings These will not be replaced )

No comments:

Post a Comment